Pharmacist from Canada (CFTA)

Pharmacist from Canada (CFTA)

If you are a registered, practicing pharmacist in good standing from another Canadian province/territory, you can register through the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA).

The CFTA allows your current qualifications as a practicing Canadian pharmacist to be recognized, therefore you are not required to complete any additional assessments.

However, if you are on the non-patient care register in a province/territory you will need to transfer to the province’s patient care category in order to apply through the CFTA category. 

Here are the steps to register with the College:

  1. Pre-register with the College
    Please allow at least 30 business days for processing.

    Checklist for Pre-Registration - Canada (CFTA)
    Application for Pre-Registration - Canada (CFTA) 

    Note: the application processing time is due to the completion of the criminal record check (CRC) process. If adjudication or fingerprinting is required for the CRC, then the processing time will be further extended.

    A notarized affidavit is required if your name is not the same on all identification submitted or you cannot provide the supporting documents for the name differences. See Related Resources below for a sample.

  2. Review the legislation under the Resources Tab
    You need to be familiar with all legislation relevant to pharmacy practice in B.C. in order to complete the Declaration of Currency with Legislation and Practice Standards page of the application form.
  3. Apply to be a full registered pharmacist
    If paying by credit card, please allow 5 business days for processing. However, if paying by cheque please allow 10 – 12 business days for processing.

    Checklist for Full Pharmacist Registration
    Application for Full Pharmacist Registration

    Professional Liability Insurance - all 3 criteria listed in the professional liability insurance section are required for registration. 

    An updated certificate of standing required if you did not apply within 12 months of your pre-registration application.

  4. Apply for Drug Administration (Optional)

    Applicants who have drug administration in another province/territory may apply through the CFTA. Submit all forms to the College at the same time.

    If you have drug administration, it must be stated on your certificate of standing. 

    Application for Certification – Drug Administration by Injection and Intranasal Route

The English Language Proficiency exam (ELP) is a requirement for Quebec pharmacists who graduated from a pharmacy program in Quebec or a non-CCAPP accredited program. Contact the College's registration department for more information.

ELP Information Guide
ELP results are valid for 2 years from the test date.

You're now a fully registered pharmacist. The College will send you a confirmation notice and issue a certificate of registration. You may access your registration card through eServices. Registration must be renewed annually. You will receive an email reminder six weeks before your renewal deadline.