Change of Location ("Relocation")
Pursuant to section 6(1)(b) of the Pharmacy Operations and Drug Scheduling Act, a pharmacy licence is cancelled when the location of the pharmacy changes. Thus, a change of location essentially requires a new pharmacy licence application.
Moving a pharmacy to a new location is similar to opening a new pharmacy. The process and processing time for a change of location application follows the same process as applying for a new pharmacy licence (except ownership information is not required unless it has changed):
- Apply for a Change of Location
An authorized representative of the direct owner of the pharmacy must submit the following no later than 30 days before the proposed opening date of the new location:
- PODSA Form 8F: Application for Change of Location and applicable fees;
- A copy of the pharmacy’s business licence issued to the new location*; and
- Pharmacy diagram of the new location.
*if available at the time when the change application is submitted. Otherwise, it must be submitted before the effective date of change.
Allow up to 7 days for processing.
Upon approval of phase 1 of the change of location process by the College, an email notification will be sent to the authorized representative named in the application.
The College will also notify Health Insurance BC (HIBC) of the Ministry of Health of the change, who will then initiate their processes for PharmaNet installation.
- Build the Pharmacy in the New Location
Build the new pharmacy as indicated in the diagram approved by the College.
Notify the Licensure Department of any changes to the original diagram submitted or the proposed opening date in your change of location application to avoid delays in the next phase of the process.
Note: the new location cannot be open to the public until a pharmacy licence has been issued to the new location. Otherwise, the new location will be operating unlawfully without a pharmacy licence
- Pre-Opening Process
The authorized representative/manager must complete and submit the following documents to the College at least 30 days prior to the proposed opening date:
Pharmacy Pre-Opening Report (specific to your licence type) with supporting digital evidence. Click on the hyperlink or refer to the section titled “Pre-Opening Inspection Report and Digital Evidence” under “Opening a Pharmacy” in the Pharmacy Licensure Guide for the forms and documents needed.
A copy of the pharmacy’s business licence issued to the new location if not submitted in step 1
Allow up to 14 days for processing.
- Prepare for Pharmacy Closure (Previous Location) and Complete the Change of Location Application
The manager must complete the following prior to the closure of the previous location:
- Provide for the safe transfer and appropriate storage of all Schedule I, II, and III drugs and controlled drug substances to the new location,
- Advise the registrar in writing of the disposition of all drugs and prescription records at the time of a closure (or confirmation* that all drugs, medical devices and prescriptions records have been transferred from the previous location to the new location),
- Provide the registrar with a copy of the return invoice and any other documentation sent to Health Canada in respect of the destruction of all controlled drug substances at the previous location prior to the move (or confirmation* that narcotic counts and reconciliations and other process in PPP-65 have been completed),
- Arrange for the safe transfer and continuing availability of the prescription records at the new location, or to an off-site storage facility that is bonded and secure, and
- Remove all signs and advertisements from the previous location when closed*.
If an on-site pre-opening inspection by a College Inspector is required, you will be notified after the above documents have been processed. The inspection will be scheduled within 30 days before the opening date.
*The manager is responsible for completing section 3 of the PODSA Form 8F: Application for Change of Location to confirm that all the above duties have been completed at the previous location, and submit the completed form to the Licensure Department within 2 weeks of closure.
The authorized representative named in the application will receive a confirmation letter via email upon completion of the change application. HIBC will also be notified.
A new pharmacy licence with the new address will be issued to the direct owner upon completion of the Change of Location application. The new pharmacy licence can be found in the pharmacy portal on eServices on the next business day after the effective date. Should any requirements be missing on this date, the effective date stated on the pharmacy licence will then reflect the date of the College’s approval.
Note that this change process and its requirements are specific to change of location only. Any other changes accompanying this change (e.g. change in manager/operating name), requires a separate application for that particular change. See the Multiple Changes section in the Pharmacy Licensure Guide for more information.
Refer to the Pharmacy Licensure Guide for more information.