Guest post: Nominate People and Projects That Made Health Care Better!
Did your project improve how care is delivered? Do you know somebody whose passion for improving quality of care deserves recognition?
Nominations are now being accepted for the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council’s 2019 Quality Awards.
Categories celebrate projects within the four areas of care, as well as four inspiring individuals.
The deadline to submit nominations is July 15, 2018.
Judging criteria and nomination forms are available at bcpsqc.ca/quality-awards.
- Staying Healthy – Celebrates a project that better prevented injury, illness or disability.
- Getting Better – Celebrates a project that improved care for acute illness and/or injury.
- Living with Illness – Celebrates a project that improved care and support for chronic illness and/or injury.
- Coping with End of Life – Celebrates a project that improved planning, care or support for life-limiting illness and bereavement.
- Leadership in Advancing the Patient Voice – Celebrates a patient, caregiver or family member who assumed a leadership role and inspired collaboration between patients and health care organizations in pursuit of better health care.
- The Doug Cochrane Leadership in Quality Award – Celebrates someone who demonstrates outstanding leadership in improving the quality of care. The leader may cultivate skill development in others to improve safety and quality of care, inspire colleagues and/or achieve system-level aims.
This year, the award has been renamed in honour of the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council’s long-time Chair, Doug Cochrane. Doug has long been a leader in improving quality and safety within British Columbia, having chaired the Patient Safety Task Force from its inception in 2003 to the creation of the Council in 2008. Since then, he has served as the Council's Chair and the Provincial Patient Safety & Quality Officer. He has also chaired the BC Patient Safety & Learning System and the Canadian Patient Safety Institute, and is currently the Board Chair of Interior Health.
- Everyday Champion Award – Celebrates someone who shows a passion and commitment for improving quality of care, even though they may not work in a leadership position or a role that specifies participation in improvement activities. The judging panel will select a shortlist of candidates who best exemplify the award’s criteria, and the winner will be decided by online voting open to everyone in BC.
- Quality Culture Trailblazer – Celebrates someone who created a work environment where passionate staff are empowered and encouraged to innovate, and where teamwork and open communication are the norm. There are no required approaches that nominees should follow. We want to know what they do to help their teams thrive so that patients receive the best care possible.
Winners receive a $2,500 sponsorship to support or disseminate learning from their projects, and will be recognized with an awards ceremony at Health Talks on February 26, 2019. Winners will also receive complimentary registration for the Quality Forum on February 27 & 28, 2019, and winners of the four project-based awards will be invited to present at the Forum.
You can help celebrate and spread great work that improved our health system – submit your nomination by Sunday, July 15, 2018 at bcpsqc.ca/quality-awards or to email@example.com! Contact or 604.668.8210 with questions.